Sunday, May 27, 2007

Eating Out: The Slanted Door



1 Ferry Building #3
San Francisco, CA 94111
415.861.8032

For anyone who lives in the bay area, The Slanted Door is quite possibly the best Vietnamese restaurant I've been to in America -- which is saying a lot, considering how frequently I go out of my way to find authentic Viet cuisine. The food is subtle and exquisite, the atmosphere (located right on the Embarcadero with a splendid view of the Bay Bridge) and architecture are elegant and surprisingly trendy, and the waiters are -- dare I say it? -- actually warm and friendly ... a rare occurrence in Asian restauranting. Try the green papaya salad and the oven roasted Alaskan halibut (above); you won't be sorry.

(After two years, I'm still searching for a good Vietnamese restaurant in the greater New York City area -- if anyone has suggestions, I'm getting desperate.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This probably isn't very helpful, but I hear the best Vietnamese restaurants are in New Jersey, if you're willing to venture out there.

Uh, and I'm afraid I can't give you exact names of restaurants/addresses, but my cousins are big fans of a few (supposedly) authentic Vietnamese restaurants in Brooklyn (in Bensonhurst).

Briony Tallis said...

I don't know of any good Vietnamese in New York, but according to my most recent hero, Post food critic Tom Sietsema, there is a new amazing place in Falls Church.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/29/AR2007052900400.html

If you ever come back to this city you once called home, we will go. Not 4th of July, however, because I must go see my mother in Boston.

I miss you!