Saturday, April 05, 2008

DIY Web Projects:

1. I've long been aware of companies like Blurb and Lulu that will design very simple products -- books, business cards, postcards, etc. -- to spec using your photos and text. Ponoko, however, takes things up a level by allowing designers to submit .eps files and have almost anything created by an industrial laser cutter. I've only really used a laser cutter in the context of creating architectural models, but the design ideas on Ponoko are endless and pretty creative -- from etched acrylic pendants to wooden side tables. I wonder what would happen if I showed up at the architecture school's cutter with CAD files that suspiciously resemble earrings?

2. I've told myself that I'm not allowed to start playing with Fontstruct until exams are over, but the idea of online software to create your own font is absurdly appealing. Must resist!

No comments: